Over the past half century, the magnitude and cost of natural disasters has generally increased in
the United States. As the number of these natural disasters continue to rise, it has become imperative
to develop a system that efficiently allocates resources to affected areas and effectively distributes
services during the emergency event. Using a Self-Service Bike Sharing System as a model to develop the
solution, our objective is to use line graphs combined with principles of graph theory to develop a
solution capable of optimizing resource allocation.
- Week 1:
- Leonard Lopez and I were assigned as colleagues to work on this project. Our mentor, Dr. Eugene Fiorini,
instructed us to become familiar with some graph theory concepts prior to the beginning of the program. The
first week of the project we were able to manifest all of doubts about the project to get a better idea of
what we are expecting to get as a solution for the problem. During the first week we started reading several
articles and resources to gain as much information about graph theory and applications as we could. We created
a poster with a general idea of our project and we presented it after the CCICADA (Command, Control, and
Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis) Conference on Wednesday. On Friday of the same week we
presented our project to the other REU students.
- Week 2:
- We keep looking into articles and resources but just to keep getting more information. We narrowed the
problem to "Resource Allocation During Extreme Events" but taking the fires in San Diego as our main concern.
We started looking into articles more specific dealing with fire and the factors that affect its spreading. A
weekly report of our advances was submitted to our mentor Dr. Eugene Fiorini.
- Week 3:
- We keep with reading articles and applications. Now that we have strong bases we start collecting real
data from the fires that affected San Diego in 2007. We organize them in spread sheets and keep working to
insert all the information into a graph.
- Week 4:
- I created a spreadsheet with all the information that could be an important factor for the spread of
the fire. I gathered certain fires, still working in the analysis of the data.
- Week 5:
- I summarized all the articles I have read and reviewed in one single summary. Looking into making it
- Week 6:
- With our problem narrowed to fires in San Diego. We started looking into the correct allocation of
firefighters for future extreme events. Taking a map of San Diego with a grid on top, we took various
locations to set as nodes in our graph. I started collecting wind data of every node on the grid.
- Week 7:
- I created a spreadsheet with the wind conditions of every place of the grid during the week of October
20, 2007 to October 30, 2007. Leonard created a grid that generates random directions of the wind in Maple,
mixing his grid with my data we will look into conditions to create an algorithm. Final presentations were
due this week.