||San Diego City College
The purpose of our project is to take a graph based approach to data representation in a way that hasn't been tried before. We plan to develop a system where we can input any data that will create a ?card? abstraction that can be applied to any topic. By developing this system, we hope to establish a better method for users to find and visualize information about any data they desire. We will be testing our mechanism by creating a database of REU projects, and seeing the relationship between the different cards. In order to make our project more attractive, we will be developing a trading mechanism, where users can interact by collecting and trading these cards. Value to the cars will be assigned depending on popularity and demand of the card. Cards will be exchanged in a virtual system where coins will be the currency among the users. .
- Week 1:
- The first day was orientation, and I got meet my fellow REU students. I also met my project's team: David Desimone, Atl Arredondo, Ram Hari, and Dylan Quintana. The next day I met my mentors, Dr. James Abello and Dr. Gene Fiorini, who explained their expectations and the description of my project. Dr. Abello tasked us with creating a system that would enhance the Fifa world cup 2014 experience of the average student. The purpose of this task was to prepare us for the main project, the REU-PEDIA. I was assigned with creating the interface for a trading platform. We have started working in the world cup task, and hope to complete it by the end of the second week.
- Week 2:
- The second week the team spent all of our resources and time in the World Cup project. We managed to launch the project online with almost all the functions that we had planned. We are still working in developing the trading mechanism. Finally we are also actively testing our project to find any "bugs" that may be in it.
- Week 3:
- In the third week we finished the trading card mechanism for our system and implemented it to our website. The mechanism now allows users to buy and sell cards. We also added more features to our project, such as an interactive map, a list of the top players at the tournament, a victory map of the world cup, and each partipants' country profile. We have also started to transition to the REU-PEDIA project, with each member being assigned a task.
- Week 4:
- In Week four we started the REU-PEDIA project. My assignment was data repository, so I started to gather information about the different REU projects throughout the nation starting with DIMACS' REU program. I created a spread sheet containing the following information about each project: Name of the REU participant. Email of the REU participant. School the REU participant currently attends. Mentor of the REU project. REU participant's project title. REU participant's project description. REU participant's project results. REU participant's project references. Program the REU Project belongs to.
- Week 5:
- This week I continued to gather data about REU projects. By the end of the week, I had finished collecting the following REU's information: DIMACS, Carnegie Mellon University's (CMU) HMMI Summer Scholars, CMU's HHMI Summer Researchers, CMU's Summer Research Institute, CMU's NSF REU, and Northern Illinois University's Reu. With the data gathered, the team was able to design a graph for each REU. The nodes of the graph corresponded to each REU project, and by calculating the Jaccard index of each project; we were able to connect them via edges depending on their level of similarity.