Project Page for Joseph Walsh and Matthew Meola
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Christopher Woodward
Project: A Study of Knot and Tangle Invariants
· What is a knot?
· What is a tangle?
· When are two knots equivalent?
· What are the Reidemeister moves?
· What is a category?
· What is a functor?
· What are a chain complex and a homology group?
· What is a knot invariant and why are they useful?
· What is the Jones polynomial and how is it calculated?
· What is the Khovanov homology and how is it an improvement over the Jones polynomial?