DIMACS REU 2011
MENTOR: Dr. Eugene Fiorini
- Week 1: This week learned about the basic information about graph theory and pebbling. This allowed me to gain a better understanding about the research problem.
- Week 2: I learned a lot more about the previous results pertaining to Graham's conjecture. I also met with Dr. Fiorini this week to furthur discuss the research problem. The goals for this week were to prove the pebbling number of the specific graph given by Dr. Fiorini and to figure out whether or not the graph has the 2-pebbling property.
- Week 3: This week has been very challenging. Our proof for the cross product of the graph is very interesting but still needs work in order to be complete. Overall, I have been enjoying the experience as a math researcher.
- Week 4: I read more papers on graph pebbling and Graham's conjecture to help us find a different approach to solve the research problem.
- Week 5: Mathematical research can be very difficult but exciting at the same time. I met with Dr. Fiorini this week to discuss possible alternative ways to finish the proof.
- Week 6: This week was spent manipulating the graph into different isomorphic forms in order to allow us to gain a different perspective of the problem.
- Week 7: Time is running out and I wish we had more time to work on this problem. I feel that we are so close to solving it but we are missing the final piece. Once this proof is complete, we could come up with generalized formulas or approaches for similar graphs.
- Week 8: This week, Dr. Fiorini is helping us try to solve this proof once and for all. Hopefully it gets done!